Experience Classic Vietnam with a Twist
16 January 2020
We’ve looked at what you can expect if you ask your Travel Counsellor to book you a spot on a Vietnam tour from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City via a whole array of amazing places and experiences, offering travellers a more authentic experience of Vietnam by showing the unique sides to this compelling country that many holidaymakers overlook.
- Hop aboard a private sampan taking you past vast limestone karsts jutting out from the lush green rice fields.
- Enjoy lessons by friendly local families in the art of mat-weaving, farming and making rice crackers.
- Spend a night afloat on a boat anchored in iconic Halong Bay.
- See a northern Vietnamese water puppetry performance in action.
- Have an adventure by vintage Vespa through Hoi An with its old merchants’ homes, 400-year-old Japanese covered bridge, Chinese communal hall and vibrant market.
“Hoi An is my favourite place in Vietnam, situated on the Thu Bon river on the coast. It’s a beautiful town with colourful buildings, small unique shops and cafés, great restaurants and a riverside setting decorated with lanterns. We were here for Chinese New Year when we witnessed a spectacular firework display. Be sure to take a boat ride along the sleepy river.
“Cycle a few kilometres out of the city past the paddy fields to the beach for the day – just out of town are An Bang and Cua Dai. joining the many cyclists on the roads provides an instant immersion into local life. This is when I truly felt like I was part of Vietnam.”
Jon, Travel Counsellor
- Cycle or ride a xe loi (trailer) through an untouched area of the Mekong, over miniscule canals and past fruit orchards and somnolent villages, stopping at workshops producing turmeric spring-roll paper and roof thatching made from water-palm trees.
- Shop at off-the-beaten-track markets in Hue, the former imperial capital with its mesmerizing tombs and mausoleums of the last emperors of Vietnam.
- Marvel at a modern dance performance in the Saigon Opera House.
- Take a number of insightful tours that shine a fresh light on local culture, including the highlights of Hanoi: the One Pillar Pagoda, the Temple of Literature, the Ethnology Museum or the Vietnam Women’s Museum, and the Old Quarter or ’36 Streets’.
- Explore Sa Dec, a charming, unmodernised Mekong Delta town immortalized by the French novelist Marguerite Duras, author of ‘The Lover’.
- Discover Ho Chi Minh City and its iconic Reunification Hall (formerly the Presidential Palace), its War Remnants Museum and its atmospheric colonial quarter.
- Linger in a traditional Vietnamese coffee shop and savour coffee like locals
Your Day-by-day Classic Vietnam with a Twist Itinerary
Day 1: Hanoi arrival
Day 2: Hanoi
Day 3: Hanoi – Hoa Lu - Hanoi
Day 4: Hanoi – Halong Bay
Day 5: Halong – Hoi An
Day 6: Hoi An
Day 7: Hoi An – Hue
Day 8: Hue
Day 9: Hue - Ho Chi Min City
Day 10: HCMC – Sadec – Cai Ne
Day 11: Cai Be - HCMC
Day 12: HCMC departure
To find out more about this trip and book, contact your Travel Counsellor today.