Family Attractions for the Winter School Holidays
05 April 2017
The winter school holidays are not a time to stay in-doors. In fact, this is the best time to take the kids on a getaway and explore their own backyard; Australia! We’ve created a list of some ideas for inspiration to get families exploring on short getaways. From zoos to wildlife sanctuaries, museums to amusement parks, there is plenty to see and do that is close to home and just as fun for the adults!
- Head to the Melbourne Museum to see the larger-than-life Dinosaur exhibit. Later, catch a movie at the IMAX Cinema.
- Drive up to the Dandenongs and take a ride on Puffing Billy.
- Hire a car and drive along the Great Ocean Road to see the 12 Apostles.
- See the Penguin Parade at Phillip Island, with a trip to the Chocolate Factory to end a great day of exploring.
- Visit the SEA LIFE Aquarium and meet Pig and Wuru - the resident Dugongs and crowd favourites.
- Spend the afternoon at Taronga Zoo, where you can see over 4,000 animals and still enjoy views of Sydney’s harbour.
- Drive to the Blue Mountain region for the day and see the incredible Three Sisters Rock formation.
- Ride the Wild Mouse or the Whirly Wheel at Sydney’s iconic Luna Park.
- Spend a day Australia Zoo, home of the Crocodile Hunter and the biggest wildlife conservation facility in the entire world.
- Take a stroll down Hastings Street and eat fish chips on the beach.
- Cruise through the magnificent lakes and wetlands of the Noosa Everglades and enjoy a BBQ lunch afterwards.
- See the only pair of breeding Pandas in Australia at the Adelaide Zoo
- Explore Kangaroo Island and get up close to the sea lions. Wander the trails and camp at Flinders Chase National Park.
- Climb into the cabs of giant steam engines at the National Railway Museum in Port Adelaide.
Looking to plan an easy, kid-friendly family holiday? Contact your Travel Counsellor, or find your nearest one here